Financial Aid for FISC Students

If you are concerned with how to pay for your FISC experience, we can help!

The College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS) manages FISC’s robust scholarship and loan programs. Funding opportunities have been provided by generous donors who are interested in assisting FISC students with their educational goals and career aspirations.

We have numerous internal and external options to cover all or most of your tuition, fees, and housing costs.

+FISC Scholarships

Type of Support: varied scholarship amounts

Who’s Eligible:

  • Everyone
  • Only requirement is to complete the application

What is it? Pays a significant portion of the cost of attendance. Can be applied towards tuition and fees.

How to Apply: After submitting your FISC program application, you’ll receive information on how to apply for these opportunities.

+Veteran's Benefits (Federal & WI GI Bill)

Type of Support: 100% Tuition & Fees scholarship

Who’s Eligible:

  • Active duty, veterans, reservists, National Guard Members, and dependents

What is it? State and federal educational benefit programs to cover 100% of tuition costs. There is also support for covering housing and other educational costs.

How to Apply: Contact University Veteran Services at or 608-265-4628.

+Other Scholarship Opportunities

As an accredited college program, FISC students are eligible for many scholarships within the agricultural industry and beyond. Consider the following scholarships available to FISC students:

Students have also found success by approaching organizations in their local area (e.g., Jaycees, Elks, rotary clubs, religious groups, producer organizations). Consider asking your parent or guardian if their employer provides college scholarships and/or grants to their employee’s children.

+National Farmworker Jobs Program (UMOS)

Type of Support: Full-ride scholarship

Who’s Eligible:

  • Anyone who is eligible to work in the U.S.
  • Need to show W-2 from farm work
  • Income eligibility

What is it? Pays 100% of tuition, housing, and related costs. Students also receive a “wage” for attending courses.

How to Apply: TBD


Type of Support:

Institutional Loans, Emergency Short Term Loans (CALS), Commercial Loans


Who’s eligible for Institutional Loans:

  • FISC Students who submit a FAFSA and are not recipients of FISC Tuition Promise (FTP) or National Farmworkers Jobs Program (UMOS)

What is it? A loan through the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Since the duration of FISC is shorter than a regular academic year and does not lead to an undergraduate degree, federal financial aid is not available; however, institutional aid may be available.

How to Apply: Contact Vera Abing in the Office of Financial or (608) 262-4987

Who’s eligible for Emergency Short-Term Loans(CALS):

  • Everyone

What is it? A six month interest free loan of up to $1,500. After six months, interest fees become effective on loan payments. Applicants receive information on loan repayment at the time the loan is approved.

How to Apply: Those who intend to make a request for our CALS short-term loan, must appear in person to 116 Agricultural Hall and, in addition to basic information, be able to provide the following on the loan application:

  • Campus ID
  • Social Security Number
  • Driver’s License Number
  • Two References, including Name, Address, and Occupation
  • Source of Repayment
  • Employer’s Name and Address, if applicable

Who’s eligible to apply for Commercial Loans:

  • Everyone

What is it? Commercial banks such as Sallie Mae Smart Options Loan or Sallie Mae Parent Loan found at, UW Credit Union private student loan found at, or Wells Fargo Collegiate Loan found at help students secure funds for education. A co-signer will likely be required. We have prepared a letter for your conversation with your lender.